Saturday, July 7, 2007

Elecraft KX1: Assembly Part 1

So after 3 months, I decided it was time to melt solder.

The first step of assembly - the control circuitry - was completed in about 5 hours. This included about a half-hour of measuring all of the resistors with the DMM, taping them to the inside of the cardboard box, and penciling in their resistance values; color blindness sucks.

The Hakko 936-12 soldering station worked very well, but the Kester .020" solder I bought didn't flow - it just balled up on the end of the iron - because (I found out later) I bought 'No Flux' solder. I wondered why it was so cheap... I found some old, thicker Radio Shack solder that I had in the junk box and used it as carefully and sparingly as I could, mindful of numerous warnings about the hazards of using excessive amounts of solder. The PanaVise circuit board holder is the best thing since peanut butter, I can't believe I worked without one in the past.

The KX1 passed all tests at the end of Part 1 - all voltages were within spec, the unit powered up, the white LED lit, everything that was supposed to work seemed to work.

First Component

WW2PT Advanced Resistor Identification System (patent pending).

Instant Electronics Lab - Just Add Clutter.