Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why Are Radios Horizontal?

This thought has been keeping me awake at night. Yes, I know I probably need psychiatric help... but that still doesn't answer the question, now does it?

Radio manufacturers appear to be locked into a belief that radios must be horizontally oriented. I don't get it -- this takes up more desk space and offers no discernible advantage over a vertically-oriented rig. Why not flip radios on their side?

The closest thing we've got to vertical radios are some commercial rack-mounted systems, but even then, each of the individual components in the rack are horizontal. The cubish Flex-5000A comes close, it is almost as tall as it is wide, but is still technically a horizontal rig. (Actually, it has no knobs so it's not a real radio anyway. Never mind.)

Desktop PCs used to come in horizontal cases; now they are all happily ensconced in tidy, attractive vertical towers. Has anyone complained? I don't think so...

Tallness projects power and demands respect -- you never hear people marveling over the world's widest building, do you? I believe the first radio maker who ventures out into this brave, new design direction will come to rule the market.

You heard it here first, folks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There is actually a precedent for this. The Icom IC202 portable 2m rig in the 1970s (and the matching 6m and 70cm versions) were vertically oriented.

Anonymous said...

I like that concept. I think the tuning knob would need to be at the bottom. The physical orientation reminds me of a desktop computer.

73
Frank
WA3RSL

Brian K3USC said...

The Drake 1A was the 1st I remember
Brian K3USC