Tuesday, September 9, 2014

DXCC #204: S01WS Western Sahara, and a Farewell to the Lone Star State

On the phone with Big Brother KB2YAN last night when he says "Western Sahara on 40." So I tune the Tarheel and spin the dial. There he is, maybe 559. Dropped my call, heard it come back, in the log. Checked ClubLog just now and it's a match!


Possibly the last DX contact I will make from Texas as we're packing up and moving to Cedar Key, FL (IOTA NA-076) in a few days. A fitting end to my operations from the Lone Star State which gave me 193 countries worked and 158 confirmed (so far) in about 18 months of total operating time between June 2009 and September 2014.

I'll miss much about Texas -- the excellent people I've worked with at Time Manufacturing for four years, the exploring around Central Texas and Hill Country, the fun trips to San Antonio to see the SA Symphony Orchestra at the Majestic -- but above all I will always remember Texas as the place where my love of ham radio was rekindled. It was here that I first dove into PSK and other sound card digital modes, and where I finally achieved my goals of making CW my primary mode, earning DXCC and Triple Play, and confirming that there really is no basement at the Alamo.

Thank y'all!

No comments: