Monday, April 9, 2007

Elecraft KX1: Pulling The Trigger

I've gone and done it now. I just ordered a KX1 QRP Transceiver kit, along with 30m/80m module and internal ATU. This will be my 2nd try at kit building; the first was my Heathkit HW-9 (along with matching tuner, SWR/wattmeter, and electronic keyer) back in 1985, which ended in near disaster - after completing assembly, the radio would not receive anything. I ended up sending it back to Benton Harbor, where they found a couple of cold solder joints and backwards-mounted components. I chalk that experience up to youth and ignorance (an oxymoron, to be sure). The KX1 sounds like an easy build, and there are a plethora of online resources to help me when (not if) I get stuck.

Why the KX1?
I've always been a fan of QRP operation even though I've rarely operated with less than 100 watts. I used to enjoy Adrian Weiss' QRP column in CQ Magazine back in the 70's, and still read the QRP construction projects in QST and CQ with interest and envy. My first ever HF QSO was made with the HW-9 back in 1987 on 40m CW, but once I got my TS-440S I don't think I ever used the HW-9 again. I bought an Yaesu FT-817 for a few years, made a few 5 watt mobile QSOs on 20m with it but mostly used it as a receiver before selling it on eBay (still kicking myself in the ass for that). Now I'm ready to give QRP another go. I considered another FT-817, but really feel like building something instead (and who wouldn't, after listening to all those SolderSmoke podcasts?). The Elecraft K2 would have been my first choice, it has so many more features (SSB, for one...); but it looks like it's a little more complex to build, and as my soldering iron has been cold for so many years I thought it best to try something a little easier for my grand return to kit building. More to follow...

Update 4/10: Talk about super super fast service - ordered on 4/9, received UPS shipping confirmation email on 4/10, scheduled for delivery on 4/17!


Links & Resources: