Monday, August 17, 2009

HRD v5 Beta

HRD Logbook v5 Beta

I generally avoid beta software like the plague. In fact, I even avoid most official "dot.zero" software releases, especially if the previous version works well. I try not to get suckered into the oft overhyped promises of nirvana that software developers promise. Pioneers take the arrows, as they say...

Nevertheless, I decided to be brave and upgrade Ham Radio Deluxe & DM780 to the latest v5 Beta release (build 2293). Since the price is right I had little to lose; I could always switch back to v4.whatever if v5 turned my screen blue. So after making sure all important data and pref files were backed up and safe on another drive I went ahead with the v5 installation.

So far, so good. The new stand-alone Logbook is awesome, and maybe it's my imagination but I swear DM780 is doing a better job of decoding digital signals now. The HRD rig control seems to be pretty much unchanged except for a few tweaks and additional features.

Things I like:
  • DM780: RSID is cool... just not sure if it's working for me on transmit; I have it enabled, but I don't hear the distinct RSID tones in my monitor when I begin transmission.

  • Logbook: Awards tracking is much improved over the "analysis" function of v4! The ability to set up and switch between different layouts is a nice addition, too. I will eventually take advantage of v5's ability to use a remote database; my plan is to set up a myQSL-based log on the web.

  • HRD: Not much difference from v4 as far as I can tell -- which is fine, I liked it just the way it was. Just wish the integration with logbook was a bit better; having an Add Logbook Entry window in HRD that doesn't require a switch to the Logbook app itself would be a big plus. It's certainly possible, DM780 does it.
There are issues, of course
  • The filter buttons in the main HRD control screen don't work.

  • I still can't save a "Favourite" (that's Eurospeak for "favorite") with DATA as the stored mode (it defaults to USB).

  • The "NR" button doesn't change color when engaged (this issue is carried over from v4...).

  • Clicking the Add To Log button (or pressing F7) in HRD doesn't switch to the Logbook, have to do that manually; also, the ALE function doesn't seem to carry the callsign from the DX Cluster window over to the ALE window.

  • I can't seem to get Logbook to upload QSO data to the HRDlog.net web site.
My biggest problem, however, is performance. Most of the windows are slow to render, especially the Add Logbook Entry window. DM780 has a tendency to freeze for several seconds whenever I do something like double-click on a call sign to look up QRZ data, or switch between SuperBrowser and the QSO screen. I'm guessing this is not an HRD problem, however; more likely caused by my aging, underpowered PeeCee, I'm sure.

Next Beta release is scheduled for tomorow (18-Aug).

No comments: