Tuesday, January 19, 2010

HAM Radio?

A perennial annoyance of mine is the use of the phrase "HAM radio." Not "ham radio," mind you, but "HAM radio" with the word "ham" capitalized as though it's an acronym like NOAA, IRS, MVP, UCLA or STFU. It usually occurs in news articles like this one which are obviously written by non-hams, but I also see it used in places like eHam product reviews by people who should know better. While no one can say with certainty how, when or where the term "ham" originated, it is beyond argument that it doesn't stand for anything. It really isn't a life-or-death problem, but every time I see "HAM radio" I have an overwhelming urge to slap someone. Is it just me?

Ooops... gotta run. My CELL phone is ringing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No, it isn't just you. QRZ.com is full of questions from newbies like "How do I get started in HAM?" Not even HAM radio. I wonder what the heck they think those three letters stand for?

Anonymous said...

I've always preferred the term "amateur radio" with it's practitioners being "radio amateurs", but have become guilty of using the word "ham" more and more recently, as that seems to be the accepted name for us.

Anonymous said...

I've always preferred the term "amateur radio" with it's practitioners being "radio amateurs", but have become guilty of using the word "ham" more and more recently, as that seems to be the accepted name for us.