Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm back.

Three years QRT after the move to West, and just now getting around to setting up the station again. Some prodding from my Google+ co-conspirators helped, but the clincher was the XYL who suggested demanded we go to the Plano Ham-Con so I could take my Extra Class test (passed with zero studying and just 6 missed questions!) and buy a new toy.

The new toy in question is a Flex 1500, something I've wanted for a while just to get dip my feet in the SDR pool. I had a chance to play with it a bit last night after finishing the coax run and setting the Tarheel up in the backyard. Initial impression is something along the lines of "HOLY CRAP!!!!" I envision this rig to be dedicated to digital modes. No intention of giving up the K3, just wanted to see how green the grass is on the other side of the fence.

We sat in on K5GJ's talk on SDR and the new 6000 series from Flex. Pretty amazing stuff they're doing down in Austin...

The Elecraft booth was hopping, and I lusted over the KPA500 amp. And the KX3. And probably would have picked up a K1 kit had I not already dropped $700+ on the Flex. Maybe next year.

Got to spin the knobs on a bunch of rigs I'd up until now only seen in QST -- TS-990S, FT-3000, FT-1200. All handsome rigs.

Did I mention I passed my Extra Class test? [Fist pump.]


They call it "wireless." They lie!

No comments: