Monday, April 21, 2014

DXCC #188: JW/SF0F Svalbard

Twenty meters was a bit noisy when I got home from work just before 6pm local time (2300 UTC). On the cluster was Svalbard, a country I've seen spotted several times but for which I've never seemed to have favorable conditions. Tonight, Ove JW/SF0F was loud on 20m CW. Better still, he was lonely! I dropped my call after his "QRZ?" and got him, just before a flood of other stateside ops started pouncing on him. Soon after, his signal took a dive in strength. Timing really is everything. No mention of JW/SF0F in any of the online DX bulletins so I have no idea how long Ove plans on operating from JW. The QRZ listing for his home call suggests he prefers to use LOTW, so I have that to look forward to.

Update 27-Apr-2014: Six days after working JW/SF0F on 20m I came across JW0FA on 17m CW. Worked him quickly and got LOTW confirmation a couple of days later (QSL #158 Mixed and #127 CW).



No comments: