Thursday, April 10, 2014

KX1 Returns!


Just when I thought The Walking Dead Season 4 has ended, my KX1 has risen from the grave and walks among us once again. A few months ago when my latest bout of QRP mania struck I dug it out of a box where it had been packed since our last move. Upon opening it up I found that the AA batteries that I'd forgotten to remove had leaked and pretty much ruined one of the battery holders. No other damage was apparent, no corrosion on the circuit board or any components, but when I hooked it up to my 12 volt power supply it refused to play -- nothing on the display, no signals received, no output on key-down... just some hiss when the AF Gain was turned all the way up, and the little lamp on the side still lit up.

I put it aside for a few weeks until I had time to dig into it. When I finally found some time I began poking around inside, hitting any solder joints with the iron that looked suspect, checking voltages per the construction manual. I emailed Don W3FPR for some advice, he confirmed my voltage measurements and gave me a few things to try but no luck. Finally hitting the limits of both my tool and skill sets he suggested I send the KX1 to him so he can look at it with some real test equipment. So off it went.

Upon arrival at Don's place, he plugged it in... and it worked. Perhaps the US Postal Service fixed it en route. I dunno. Whatever made it happen, the thing suddenly sprang to life, and I'll take it. Don did a quick once-over and did a calibration while he had it, changed out the damaged battery holder, and shipped it back to me.

First night back, I fired it up at the desk with the 12 volt supply just to be sure, and sure enough it worked. Took a little while to reacquaint myself with all of the menu settings. It wasn't transmitting at first, until I figured out that the ATU setting was wrong. A few attempts to make some contacts were in vain, but it appears to be working fine.

The KXPD1 paddle is kind of flaky, or maybe its just me. Either way, I'm making more mistakes than I do with the Bencher BY1. Fact is I'm just plain better with a straight key than I ever was with paddles. I'm looking into a mini key for this KX1 and someone suggested the Palm Radio PPK; I also found the KK1 by American Morse Equipment. Both look like they'd work.

Palm Radio PPK
American Morse Equipment KK1
Meanwhile I keep working with the KXPD1. It's not horrible, mind you. The lack of mechanical paddle movement just reminds me of that old Heathkit μMatic keyer I built years ago that used capacitive touch paddles. Just plain weird. I spent about an hour calling W1AW/4 (unsuccessfully) on 40m tonight, sending cleaner as I started getting more used to the KXPD1.

No comments: